*sigh* This might be a long read. If you're just after a working build and are sick of my excuses, scroll down to the bottom of this post.
After a long, restful xmas break I've set out to update my apps and finally release this mastering app. I worked all week to put a few final touches on the mastering. Like all lot of you said, it's fine for an initial relase the way it is now, and we can worry about improvements later. The first step is getting something out. Putting it on the Play store also means it won't just expire on you guys and I thank those who've stuck around during this whole mess.
Now I've got everything ready, including a free demo version as well so people can try before buying. My Play store listings are complete and ready to publish. I uploaded one of my APKs and was told it was compiled using targetting an old Android version and that they were raising the bar on which Android version you had to target. No problem, I'll just update my development kit to get the newer version kit and rebuild.
You see I've been developing for Android since version 1.6, when the tools were pretty crude but simple. And Google continued supporting those old tools for years because hey, they still worked (I know for a fact that many at Google were still using them too). But it seems as though in a push to simplify their maintenance and security, they're now forcing everyone to use the new toolset. (I'm sure Mike and others know exactly what I'm talking about)
So, now I've got this pretty big project (and other HUGE projects like Caustic) that I need to migrate over. And because my projects all use lots of native C++ code and very little Java, their simple migration wizards doesn't work. I'm now staring at the mastering app in a new toolset, with pages and pages of errors I don't understand. I think the solution might be to start a blank project from scratch and bring in all my code. This isn't a huge deal, and I'm confident I can get it sorted but it will take me a few days to figure everything out.
The current build of Mastering expires at the end of the week and I assure you it was my plan to have it published before then, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Rather than stress even more about this impending date, I've decided to put out yet another beta.
Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Caustic Mastering - beta7