3 posts / 0 new
Last post
stePH
stePH's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/01/2014 - 13:15
Trying a new cmposition technique

Caustic Song file (optional): 

A while ago I started work on a psytrance track, working title "Voltage". I began work in Caustic, starting with a Beatbox and some synths, creating patterns and laying them into the timeline... but then I got the idea to just create a bunch of patterns, lay them each into the timeline once with an empty bar separating them, and export the stems. Then I loaded the stems into REAPER and cut them into loops, with the intent to assemble the track in REAPER with my Caustic patterns in the form of .wav loops.

This morning I finished cutting and gluing the loops, and have begun assembling the track. More on this story as it develops.

stePH
stePH's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/01/2014 - 13:15
(ADDENDUM)

(ADDENDUM)

The track tempo is 152 bpm in Caustic, so loading the stems into a 152 bpm REAPER project lined it up with the bar lines and made it easy to split them into the loops. Unfortunately the pads are unsatisfactory, with too much modulation happening within the 8-bar loops. I exported with no effects, to get my raw loops as dry and unprocessed as possible, but the pads still suck.

So I'm using a VSTi plugin from Fretted Synth called String Sculptor II, a 3-oscillator 3-filter synth, to create my pads. I'm still learning how to operate the controls but it seems promising.

stePH
stePH's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/01/2014 - 13:15
Turns out String Sculptor is

Turns out String Sculptor is monophonic, so I either need to use it on multiple tracks to make chords, or find another VSTi synth. indecision