The next update (2.1) is nearing completion so I'd like to try a beta release on forum members. This is only being offered for Android devices as sideloading is easiest on this platform. I might put out a windows beta too a bit later.
I know it's long, but please read through this entire post in order to participate.
First step, SUPER IMPORTANT: back up your device's entire "caustic" directory to your PC or another folder on the device. There is no garantee this build will save files properly or ever load them up again. And if you've never used beta software before, be warned, it can be frustrating.
Ok, you'll need to allow installation of "unknown sources" apps to install this. If you haven't enabled this before, the option is usually in "Settings...Apps or Settings-->Security" on your device. Once the app is installed, you can remove the check, but you'll need to do this for every new updated beta build...
Uninstall the market version of Caustic on your device, then install this one. (The signatures won't match until I sign it so you can't install it as an update).
For those you have been around since v1 that got it unlocked via in-app purchase, write me and I'll get you going again, this build doesn't have built-in purchase verification.
If your device isn't on Android 4.1+ yet (Jelly bean), then please install this app to monitor for crashes. (These log recorders don't work anymore in Jellybean)
If ever you get a crash (suddenly jumps back to your homescreen), fire up aLogCat, wait for it to read logs and send me the file via email sharing please. (email@example.com).
Things to test:
- Load up your old songs and make sure they load and play back without problems.
- Listen for missing (dropped) notes. The pattern editor was completely re-designed (and standardized) internally so if notes cut out, it will probably happen on all machines and be quite obvious.
- Have a poke at anything in the changelist below. There is no documentation apart from little notes next to each feature.
If you have a bug:
Check against the known issues list down below, if it's not there, create a new post in this thread saying what the bug is while being as specific as possible and how you got it to happen. Once I read and confirm your bug, I'll delete the post and add the bug to the known issues list so that it's all in one place. As I release fixed builds, I'll mark the issue as fixed in the list below with your name assigned, I would then ask that you please update and confirm the fix.
-Reduced playback buffer size, so latency should be noticeable reduced (by ~33%, but still high) on Android. No change in what's displayed because that's the OS Latency and I can't change that.
-New menu button in the lower control bar as well as "Back" arrows throughout for devices with no OS support for soft buttons.
-Global shuffle, applies to all machines (can be overridden per-machine or per-pattern)
-Vertical layout (portrait mode) showing multiple machines at once for 7"+ devices (can be enabled on any device through the options menu)
-Customizable keyboard and pianoroll key sizes (can be changed in the options menu)
-MIDI controller support. You'll need a device that supports USB on the GO + Android 3.1 or greater + a USB OTG cable + and a MIDI keyboard that works without special drivers.
Launch the app first, then connect your MIDI controller. An Android popup will show asking for permission for Caustic to use the USB device. You can change channel mapping config in menu-->MIDI.
-Better finger tracking with the onscreen keyboards. Fingers drifting off the keyboard won't accidentally press buttons or knobs.
-Support for most WAV formats: 8-16-24-32-64bit, mono or stereo, any samplerate.
-Envelope times now go up to 3 seconds, using an exponential knob mapping instead of linear.
-Cleaner file browser, double-tap to load file.
All machines now use the same pattern editor so most of the new features apply to everything. Beatbox has some exceptions because it's not a traditional pianoroll)
Some of these new features also apply to the sequencer's pianoroll when appropriate.
-Option to sound newly placed notes (on by default, can be toggled in menu-->options)
-Double-tap a note to delete it.
-Select notes using marquee (drag box) selection + time-based selection. Press "Sel" button up top for access to these.
-Longer patterns: 1,2,4 or 8 measures. Long-press any of the pattern buttons to bring up the options for that pattern and change the pattern length.
-Smaller note increments: support for up to 64th notes. Long-press any of the pattern buttons to bring up the options for that pattern and change the smallest note size.
-Transpose + Shift control on patterns. Long-press any of the pattern buttons to bring up the options for that pattern and use the transpose and shift buttons to modify the pattern.
-Global shuffle override: Long-press any of the pattern buttons to bring up the options for that pattern and set the override shuffle for that pattern.
-2 New LFO targets: OSC2 octave and semitone.
-Automatically detects embedded loop points when loading WAV files
-Set root-/ow/high key using the keyboard (long-press the buttons to set)
-Improved loop point editor with quick access to play modes as well as play cursor visualization.
-Displays sample names for single note mappings in pattern editor
-Standard, playable keyboard.
-Removed note range limit.
-Assignable LFO (square wave pulse width, filter cutoff or volume)
-Built-in distortion effect.
-Ability to save presets
-Glide and accent now supported through pattern editor.
-Bigger preview buttons
-Custom kits are now saved to a single "lumped" archive containing all required sample data.
-New parametric EQ insert effect
-Ability to insert measures into songs (with no loop set, long-press in the timeline where you want to insert patterns)
-Ability to trim measures from songs ( select the portion to trim using the loop cursors, then long-press inside the loop on the ruler)
-A scroll bar to quickly jump through time
-Play cursor "follow" mode, which can be toggled.
[Beta 1 APK link removed, see Beta 2 thread for latest APK]
Caustic v2.1.0 Beta 1 - Known issues:
- The app will crash the first time you run it after it's finished extracting demo content, don't bother sending crash reports about this, I'll look into it tomorrow.
- Piano roll in sequencer can't zoom in past 16th notes or do triplets.
- Pattern errors don't show in pattern editor (and never have)
* Dragging multiple notes in pattern editor sets all velocities to same value
- There is sometimes a white background with machines thumbnails missing in the machine jump popup.
- Latency selection option doesn't change anything (still waiting to see if the lower latency causes problems)
* Samples at rate different than 44KHz will play back wrong in WAV preview (file browser only).
- Song export is slower than it should be.
* Moving notes to the edges in sequencer doesn't trigger auto-scroll like it does in pattern editor.
- The scroll cursor in the sequencer doesn't line up with the play cursor.
- Random little "white corner triangles" drawing on screen
* Touch sometimes doesn't respond on edges of the screen in portrait mode
* Multi-select button in sequencer doesn't highlight when toggled
* Lasso and time select mode get reset after using the horz. scrollbar
* Lasso select doesn't work properly in sequencer pianoroll
* Bassline pattern notes can get stuck when stopped halfway
(*) Indicates this issue should be resolved in the next beta.